Hub Membership of Swindon Schools - How does it work for my school?
Show that you share our belief in the importance of music education and sign up as a member in our Hub - it's easy!
- On-line access to music resources and curriculum templates
- Free help line from qualified music education specialists
- Membership of Music Mark
- Access to subsidised prices for whole class, large, small and individual tuition
- Access to the subsidised additional menu Buy-as-you-go.
gives you the core support package outlined above, including:
- access to subsidised prices for music provision on a yearly basis
- access to the buy-as-you-go menu.
- Membership of Music Mark (national organisation)
- The subsidised offers are:
- MUSIC4U (WCET)
- Large/small and individual tuition
- as above plus:
- Attendance at our GCSE workshop provided by Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
- Access for your pupils to the SMS secondary schools gala concert
Gold membership (Swindon Schools only)
- as above plus for silver & bronze membership:
- 30 weeks x 45 minutes whole class, or large group instrumental tuition
Individual Tuition in School
"The instrumental tuition gave pupils a hands on experience of music making that has inspired many to learn an instrument of their own"
Swindon Music Service offers high quality individual tuition in a range of styles and genres. Standards are outstanding and tuition id delivered by highly skilled, DBS cleared instrumental tutors.
Instrumental lessons available:
We offer instrumental & vocal lessons in a flexible way to meet your busy schedules, either at school, at the music centre or at home through online Zoom platform.
School Purchasing through the Service Level Agreement: School Purchase information and Price list>>
Schools facilitating with parents paying directly to the music service: Parents Purchase information and Price list>>
How does it work?
- A school can buy in a block of time to allow their students to access tuition. The schools can then either:
- offer tuition free to students, or
- claim fees directly form parents themselves (Pupils Premium can also be used for those pupils who qualify)
- a minimum of 1-hour per tutor for 10-sessions spread over two terms (6-term system - further blocks of 10 sessions can be purchased on a Buy-As-You-Go approach) must be purchased.
- Parents Direct Pay
- parents/carers can be directed by the school to the music service to register through the e Parent-Direct-Pay scheme.
- an easy process has also been developed to allow for those students who receive free school meals can access the music service remissions fund and receive up to 60% discount on the fees and 100% for those pupils who are categorised as Looked After Children (LAC) by the Local Authority. (subject to funding being available).
- again, the school will need to have a minimum of 1-hour's tuition per week per tutor to take place in the school. Alternatively, lessons can be undertaken online or at the music centre (The Platform, Faringdon Road).
"The only thing better than singing is more singing” - Ella Fitzgerald
Swindon Music Service
Swindon Music Service (SMS) is committed to giving every child the opportunity to sing. We believe singing is a healthy activity and enables children and young people to express themselves by accessing making music activities. Often with little or no musical experience and without prohibitive financial outlay.
Singing can promote team work in a social setting similarly promoting self-confidence and self-esteem. MMS believes that all children and young people should be able to access high quality opportunities for singing in school and the community as an entitlement.
The Benefits of Singing:
Very young people have been shown to increase the amount, quality and understanding of speech development through singing activities such as counting games, nursery rhymes and finger play
Singing increases blood flow and lung capacity
Combined with movement or dance, singing helps combat obesity and increase general physical fitness
Singing can lead directly to whole-school improvement, particularly through creating a greater sense of community and increasing social cohesion within the school
Music lessons in school can help foster individuality, improve social skills and help create more positive attitudes in general. In studies, these effects have been particularly marked in low-ability, disaffected pupils.
Singing can be used to prepare to start or finish routine activities such as setting down to take the register or signifying the end of the school day. Choose a well known song or create a new song with your whole class
Music can be used to reinforce mathematical development through the use of finger and counting games and exploration of musical; instruments and sound-makers through sequencing and patterning.
Studies have shown that school music lessons can benefit reading and language skills. Very young children have been shown to increase the amount, quality and understanding of speech developed through singing activities.
“Once schools get the singing habit, in my experience, they never want to let it go” - Howard Goodall
What’s offered to schools:
- We will make you fully informed about how to sign up to Charanga resources
- We will show you around the resources available online for your schools through our website
- We will help teachers to understand and work through setting a singing strategy in your school.
- We can help you to undertake a singing audit to enable us to help you plan for ‘Singing Schools’ programme in your school.
- Provide tuition for whole class or whole school singing in your school (At full cost recovery)
- Invite your school to take part in our annual voice festivals for infant, junior and Christmas concerts
- Give you details of CPD and resources which are available to you to support singing
To access the Festival resources (password protected for members) click here
To access Singing Strategy Top tips and developing a school singing strategy (password protected for members) click here
To access the Song Bank through the buy-as-you-go menu. click here. password protected
This Christmas, we will replace the usual voice festival held at the Wyvern theatre with an online option. click here to view the Promo and to get more information. You can also book on to the Virtual Big Christmas by clicking here and placing your order.
Out of the Ark Music
You can purchase singing resources by following the links below:
Cinderella & Rockerfella and Aladdin – these are musicals for ages 7 – 11 http://www.outoftheark.co.uk/products/nativities/pantomimes/
I Love Music and It’s Christmas for you to show. http://www.outoftheark.co.uk/series/my-world-series/